Date(s) - Sunday, 5 May 2024
11:00 - 16:00
The trip with be led by David Bone. Time has been allowed for lunch at your own convenience during the day.
Location 1: Chichester
- Meet 11.00am at the Guildhall in Priory Park, Chichester. Nearest Post code PO19 1NS. Grid reference SU 8624 0512. Use one of the many city car parks and walk to Priory Park. There is a nearby café in Priory Park and toilet facilities.
- Wearing your geodetective hat, you’ll explore the building stones of the Guildhall (a former church of the Greyfriars). David has set a fun quiz which will be sent to you before the trip. You will need to print that out and bring it with you, plus a pen/pencil. And remember to bring your hand lens or magnifier card
Location 2: Bracklesham
- At the end of the Guildhall visit, you are free to have lunch and make your way to Bracklesham seafront car park (Pay & Display, and toilets). Billy’s on the Beach cafe is the place to head for, on the edge of the car park, but it can be busy (do not rely on getting lunch here!). Bracklesham Lane, East Wittering, Chichester. Post Code: PO20 8HJ. Grid Reference SZ 8049 9636.
- At 2.00pm (or earlier if everybody is present), David will do a “show & tell” of Bracklesham fossils then, as the tide goes out, we will head for the beach to begin our search on the wet sands for fossils – Eocene age fossil shells and, hopefully, sharks’ teeth. We aim to finish at low tide about 4.00p.m. although you are free to stay longer should you wish. Remember to bring small containers or small plastic bags for your fossil finds. No need for hammers or hard hats!
- Please note our field trips are for Rockwatch members only and their accompanying parent/guardian.
- Conditions: Warm clothing for Bracklesham (very exposed), footwear that can get wet.
- Bring a print out of the Quiz which will be emailed to you in advance, a pencil and pen, your lens and magnifier card and a bag or container to put your finds in.
- David hopes to have copies of the new edition of his book “The Geology and Fossils of Bracklesham and Selsey” for a special discount price on the day. Worth every penny!
BookingsChildren must be accompanied by an adult so please buy tickets for children and accompanying adult/s.
Log in if you already have an account with us.